"All disease begins in the gut."-Hippocrates



Happy weekend everyone! It's been a little crazy out there so I hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend!

Today I'm making some homemade kombucha! In my pre-cancer days I used to think kombucha looked absolutely disgusting, and when my friend Dana used to show me how to make it I think I actually may have called her gross (whoopsy?). But luckily Dana is a forgiving soul and last night when a couple girlfriends insisted on coming over for dinner (thanks for that btw), she brought with her the makings for a fresh batch of kombucha!! Today I attempt on my own! Before I get into the recipe let me explain to you why I'm drinking this weird drink.

Kombucha is a fermented food, I know it sounds like it may be disgusting but I promise you it's not! Fermented foods have been through a process called lactofermentation. Lactofermentation is a process in which natural bacteria feeds on the starch and sugar in the food creating lactic acid. Lactofermantation preserves the food and breaks it down into a more digestible form, it creates probiotics, Omega 3 fatty acids, B-vitamins and beneficial enzymes. As Hippocrates said "All disease begins in the gut" so why not make sure your gut is functioning first?

Consuming Fermented foods has been shown to slow or reverse disease, improve your immune system health (this is VITAL to the cancer fight but that is a WHOLE other blog) AND it helps you to absorb more vitamins and nutrients from the foods you eat. Who doesn't want that?? Consuming fermented foods like a high quality organic sauerkraut, kimichi, or kombucha can add lots of healthy bacteria to that gut of yours and improve your overall health! Sugary drinks are a huge problem in this country, between chemical and sugar packed soda drinks and drinks that appear to be healthy because the label says it has 0 calories, we are lost on what is healthy for us besides water! Yes kombucha is made with sugar and yes sugar and cancer do NOT go together, but your kombucha is a living organism that is using that sugar as food so by the time you consume it the sugar has been consumed and should have a very minimal effect on the blood sugar.

For WAY more information than I could ever tell you about this subject and for the recipe to the batch I'm making click the link below! I'll let you know how mine turns out, and if you attempt it let me know!!

https://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/05/19/homemade-kombucha/


XOXO,

Jenny



Comments

  1. Can I ask what it tastes like? Do you just drink it? Or do you put it in something else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just drink it because unlike the original flavor, it's originally brewed with black tea so it has a effervescent black tea thing happening. But you can flavor it with fruit and it's really good that way too! It's called a second fermentation, I haven't tried it yet because my first batch is still brewing but after this is done I'll take some in a mason jar and add some frozen berries, put it in the fridge and let it ferment for two more days. Boom flavored kombucha!

      Delete
    2. That should read because I like the original flavor!

      Delete
  2. Love these posts! I do not love the taste of Kombucha - do you? Did you know that Paula and Jim have moved on from making craft beers at home to making Kombucha instead? Once a fermentation expert, always a fermentation expert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the taste!! And the flavored ones are great but they do add more sugar, especially store bought ones. I did know they were doing that! I'm waiting for my first batch to ferment can't wait to see how it turns out!!!

      Delete
  3. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Giving IN

Back To The Drawing Board

Caught in an identity crisis...