Here comes the rain again...

The rain has arrived and with it brings my favorite time of year in LA. I love the rain, I love the weather, I love how the whole city basically shuts down because we all forgot how to function in actual weather. I love how the news stations talk non-stop about it with their various "storm watches," really pumping up the drama for what in New England would just be called rain. I LOVE it. (Really praying for no mud slides though!) There's something about the rain that changes the attitude of the city, it's like the rain comes in and washes all the soot away and for a day or two you get to see just how beautiful this place can actually be. With it's clear blue sky and it's 67 degrees in December, with it's snow capped mountains in the distance and miles of coast line right here in town. If you can't tell I love LA when it rains, and it's perfectly matching my current hibernation plan.

I'm now one full round (2 infusions) into my new chemotherapy which is really the old chemotherapy so things get a little confusing there. But 5 days out and I'm finally feeling a bit better. Yesterday I felt almost better and today (so far-it's before 8am) I haven't had any nausea and feel just slightly weak which is actually my normal at this point. This chemo is NOT fun though, and I knew it wouldn't be but ugh-I almost forgot how terrible the nausea can be and feel during this. Unrelenting and aggressive but thankfully I didn't lose my cookies this round so I'm hopeful that I will maintain my weight and stay healthy through this process. Food and eating is difficult to maneuver and frustrating for not only me but for those around me. A word about this: Please understand if the person you are care taking for or you are visiting who is ill says they are nauseous from medicine don't try and food push them by offering alternatives and food options. It's so BEYOND frustrating for me when I am not interested and attracted to food, it sends me into panic mode. It can honestly feel the biggest wall in front of you that you just can't get around and I promise we aren't just stubbornly not eating, it can drive me to tears so fast it honestly almost shocks me. So at least there's a little food going down the hatch, which ends up making everything better. My mom is here taking care of me day in and day out, taking my doggy for walks and making me food and I've mainly just been snoozing or laying around. For so much (read:pretty much all) of this journey I've been battling the need my body has to just STAY HOME AND REST. Yes there are times when I've curled up and settled in but mostly I was always pushing, I'm a pusher what can I say?!?! Always with the "I'll be fine", "let's just go" attitude that never really got me anywhere except frustrated when maybe I couldn't actually just push through and had to rest. For most of our working lives we are fantasizing about being home on the couch but when you do it all the time it's just not so fun. This time around though is different, this time around I'm feeling the real need to hibernate. And I am A-OK with it!

I was recently having a chat with one of my best friends and we were discussing getting through a challenging period in her life and my life and just ya know in general. She said something that struck such a deep chord with me because I've said the same thing many times: "I just wanna get back to the woman I was." OHHH LORD do I understand what she means!! But can I be honest? I would never go back. Not if ya paid me. Do I want this diagnosis? HELL NO. But without it I'm not sure I would have learned the immense amount of life lessons I have learned. I'm not sure I would have gone on this deep of a healing journey, I'm not sure I would have become the person I am today. And the person I am today is my favorite version of myself. Cancer or no cancer. Because cancer does not define me-it sure as hell teaches me a lot though. So why for so long was I trying to just go back? Why do so many of us live in that past version of ourselves? Because our current situation isn't what we want it to be or thought it would be? Well for starters you gotta look in the mirror because if you don't like where your life is that reflection in the mirror is your starting point. It's the reason you are where you are and that reflection is the only thing that can change it. No one can do it for you. And then after that-I don't know. That part is up to you. What I do know is for so long I wanted to go back, or actually most of the time it wasn't back but I kept saying things along the line of "when this is over" "when I beat this" "when I kick Karen's ass" etc etc (side note Karen is the name we gave my tumor/cancer initially-I sincerely apologize to the Karen's of the world). When, when, when, maybe there won't even be a when! I hate to regurgitate a cliched saying but I swear to God I feel this way- Maybe it's about the journey and not the destination.

For most of my life I've been working around the thought process of "when I lost 10lbs then I'll be happy" "When I get that job then I'll be happy" how ludicrous does that actually sound? So you're withholding happiness from yourself because you don't have, what you deem, to be a perfect body or the perfect job, partner, car, clothes the list goes on? I've thought about this a good amount over the past little over two years. I remember I very clearly made the decision early on in my Stage IV diagnosis that I would stop waiting to be happy. That I would be happy now because I didn't know how much time I had left-and through my misery and through my ups and downs and meltdowns and breakdowns and triumphs and losses I have attempted to keep coming back to my joy. My behavior has not been perfect and I've gone to the edge of insanity and back but I am human. I almost kept writing there, making more and more excuses like; I am sick, you don't know how much I'm dealing with and on and on and on and excuse excuse excuse and they're all valid but do you know what's the most valid excuse; I am human. I have ups and downs and don't know something until I've learned it because I am human and that's just how that goes. I've worked incredibly hard to be where I am now, am I perfect? HA-hard no there, folks. But I am a hell of a lot more peaceful and balanced and HAPPY. And calm. We put so much emphasis on being busy in this society. Like if you're busy you're SO important and people just need you. That's cool, too! I've been busy and I've also been free as a bird to do what I will with my day. There is a time and place for both, one is in NO WAY better than the other. So why do so many of us think we need to be busy to be validated or important or have worth? Some days the only thing I can physically do is lay down and barely be awake. Does that change my worth as a human being? No, no it doesn't. Our value goes beyond what we can "accomplish" in a given day.

Today my accomplishments may be that I home cook something delicious for my mom and myself, or writing this blog may be the beginning and end of it and the rest of the day I'll be working on healing or the concept of "active healing" where you are resting not just to rest but for the purpose of healing. Resting with intent. And really more than ever I'm ok with that. I think I was waiting for society to give me permission, like it's ok you can rest, you aren't lazy, you don't have to do more just rest. When really I have been waiting to give MYSELF permission to rest. I have been judging myself in the fear that society is judging me. Who cares if they are? I've realized I thought it was "society" but it was just me all along, not feeling good enough, not feeling worth enough, telling myself I'm lazy if I haven't accomplished enough. And ya know what? I'm tired. I'm tired of that word enough. What is enough? Who determines when it's enough and if you're right or wrong? I've been qualifying myself this whole time and blaming it on something else, judging myself harshly-that was good enough Pagliaro and you/that certainly wasn't good enough! But I'm tired of that thought process, that thought process is nothing but a hamster wheel and I for one was ready to get off of it. I could start working with a new feeling though and maybe that one is compassion. If we all started showing ourselves a little compassion then maybe we would have more to spread out into the world. And then maybe the changes we feel and see could be exponential, just maybe......

Enjoy the rain however you can! Splash in a puddle, stay home from work and watch movies, treat YO'SELF...it's raining!

XOXO.

Jenny

Comments

  1. Wow - this is packed full of so much wisdom, Jenny. As much as we hate having cancer, there is definitely a huge silver lining. We learn so many valuable life lessons, and connect with wonderful people (like you!) that we never would have met otherwise. You are truly special. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
      or
      call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

















      i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
      or
      call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

      Delete
  2. Jenny, I love the real you that has blossomed through wrestling with this cancer. It has spoke so much truth to myself and to many others that we need to hear. I pray for God to continue to heal you from the the top of your head to the tip of your toes..Amen. Love you my friend, Candice

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found my way here via Facebook, and I've listened to some of your songs in the past. I just wanted to wish you all the very best. You've got a real strength and depth of character that shines through in your writing here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice to read this post thank you author. Great attitude! Best Cancer Treatment

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

















    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Esteems,

    We are Offering best Global Financial Service rendered to the general public with maximum satisfaction,maximum risk free. Do not miss this opportunity. Join the most trusted financial institution and secure a legitimate financial empowerment to add meaning to your life/business.

    Contact Dr. James Eric Firm via
    Email: fastloanoffer34@gmail.com
    Whatsapp +918929509036
    Best Regards,
    Dr. James Eric.
    Executive Investment
    Consultant./Mediator/Facilitator

    ReplyDelete
  7. This Awesome #Breast #Cancer Awareness Represents All The Superb Happiness on Breast Cancer Awareness You Could Be an Influential Person with loving your passion. Wear This sweater from your passion. You Know This Is only Perfect For you!
    To buy click here firefighter Breast cancer awareness T Shirt

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Giving IN

Back To The Drawing Board

Caught in an identity crisis...